Current Challenge

Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Witches Brew.....


Hey there KaDoodle Bugs.....DT Jana here to share my "Witches Brew" light up cauldron creation with you today.  I am really happy with how this project turned out.

To start off, I created my adorable Witch using the Charmkin Cuties Broom Witch which you can find here: http://kadoodlebugdesigns.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=57&products_id=865


To create my sign, I used a mini Halloween plaque and Halloween painted shape word (Witches Brew) which I purchased from Michael's.  The "Witches Brew" was white, so I painted it green using some acrylic paint I had on hand.  I attached the plaque to a piece of craft wood (which I also painted to match my plaque). I then attached my painted words and my Broom Witch.


For the cauldron portion of this project I received help from my wonderful hubby.  He is all about Halloween!! Every year he creates something new to display outside with all of the Halloween Decor. This year he is creating a life sized skeleton stirring a cauldron.  To make it look as realistic as possible, he has created faux burning coals under his cauldron.  I loved the idea and wanted to apply it to this project, but on a much smaller scale of course (LOL).  There are several YouTube videos out that can explain and show this process. Here is one, if you would like to check it out:

For my faux coals, I used a small set of battery operated LED lights that I had in my stash. I made a small hole in the bottom of my cauldron so that I could pull the LED light strands through.  I centered my cauldron on a piece of card board and taped the LED's down around it. Once my lights were in place, I used "Great Stuff", which is an insulating foam sealant (purchased from Home Depot). As you can see in the picture above, it works great with creating that coal effect and the lights still shine through to give it that burning look.


Once my "coals" expanded and were completely dry, I used my eBrush and Spectrum Noir markers to create a burning coal look.


I added a new bow to my cauldron and filled it with "Witches Brew" (which in this case is candy!).
So what do you think??? This is a great project to use as a centerpiece or for a candy/treat bowl.

I hope that you enjoyed my creation for today! Make sure you continue to stop by the KBD blog daily for more fantastic inspirational projects and ideas from the very talented KBD Design Team.


Items and Materials Used:

  • KBD File: Charmkin Cuties Broom Witch:  http://kadoodlebugdesigns.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=57&products_id=865
  • ReCollections & Bazzill Card Stock
  • Patterned Paper: American Crafts "BOO!" Paper Pad
  • Tim Holtz Distress Inks: Seedless Preserves, Spiced Marmalade, Black Soot, Tea Dye, Scattered Straw, Evergreen Bough
  • Pebbles Pearlescent Chalks - Shimmer Shades
  • Art Glitter Glue
  • White Gelly Roll Pen 
  • Kaiser Colour Glitter Gel Pen (Black)
  • Pigma Micron Pen (005) - Black
  • Panacea Raffia Natural Palm Tree Fibers (used for witches broom)
  • Wink of Stella - GL. Gold 101
  • Gold cording
  • Celebrate It - Halloween Mini Plaque
  • Celebrate It - Halloween Painted Shape Words
  • Art Minds - Clear Pine Craft Wood
  • Reeves Acrylic Paint: Light Green, Viridian Hue, Lemon Yellow, Mars Black, Orange
  • eBrush
  • Spectrum Noir Markers: OR1, DR3, IG8
  • Celebrate It - Halloween Ribbon







1 comment: